DNA Testing for Your Horse
Horse breeders and horse lovers use horse DNA testing to determine certain characteristics like coat color and pattern, genetic diseases and disorders, profiling, and parentage verification. Breeders also use DNA testing to determine the possible genetic makeup of offspring.
Coat color and pattern tests
There are different coat colors and patterns but the two main base colors are black and red. Here are the other colors and patters:
- Dominant white
- Tobiano – pinto pattern that normally involves having white on all four legs and rounded spots on the body with sharp edges.
- Splashed white – with spots of white around the body
- Sabino 1 – a gene mutation caused by a sabino coat pattern that is found in certain breeds like Tennessee Walking Horse and American Paint Horses.
- Frame Overo
- Appaloosa – this type of coat includes several variations of spotting patterns.
- Gray – a modifier that causes a horse’s hair to fade to a lighter shade and may become white in 6-8 years.
- Silver dilution – a gene responsible for the Silver Black and Silver Bay coat colors.
- Pearl dilution – a rare colored gene thought to have originated from Spanish descent.
- Cream dilution – responsible for the dilution of horses like Chestnut horses, Palomino and Cremello.
Horse genetic testing can also detect genetic disorders like the following:
- Cerebellar abiotrophy (CA)
- Congenital stationary night blindness (CSNB)
- Hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia (HERDA)
- Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP)
- Glycogen Branching enzyme deficiency (GBED)
- Junctional epidermolysis bullosa (JEB)
- Lethal white syndrome (LWO)
- Malignant hyperthermia (MH)
- Polysaccharide storage myopathy (PSSM)
Horse genetic testing provides essential information to breeders, horse enthusiasts, and veterinarians. You can choose a testing service depending on what you need, like determining coat colors or future diseases. There are also horse genetic services for DNA profiling and parentage testing.
DNA Testing for Your Horse
Read By Categories
- Alcohol & Alcohol Testing
- Alcohol Related Research Study
- Animal Testing
- Background Screening
- Cocaine & Cocaine Testing
- Cocaine Related Research Study
- Disease Detection
- DNA & Genetics
- Drug Testing
- Drug Testing As a Business
- Epidemic and Virus
- Government Drug Testing
- Health & Wellness
- Home Testing
- Nicotine & Smoking Related Research Study
- Nicotine & Smoking Testing
- Other Tests & Testing Kits
- Pregnancy Testing
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Product Reviews
- Research & Studies
- School & Teenage Drug Testing
- Steroid Testing
- Substance Abuse
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Workplace Drug Testing