• 8 Hidden Dangers in Your Home

    There are many hidden dangers in your home. Often without knowing it we come into contact with these dangers and are harmed by that contact.

    Here’s a few of those harmful elements and how you can remove or at least reduce their presence in your home.
    1. Radon: Like carbon monoxide, radon too is colorless and odorless. It seeps into your home from the ground below, especially if you have a dirt cellar or basement that has cracks in the foundation. You can get a detector for radon but it’s best to get a radon test to verify the exact level of what is entering your home. Radon is a form of radiation and is the second leading cause of lung cancer.

    2. Asbestos: Asbestos is a dangerous fiber that was once used for insulation and fire resistance in homes. Breathing in too much asbestos puts you at risk for lung damage and at higher risk of developing Mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis. To prevent a problem with asbestos in your home, it is best to avoid handling the materials that are made from it and get an asbestos test kit.

    3. Lead: Lead lurks in many places in our homes including paint and pipes. Some toys and even makeup can also contain lead. Lead is a serious concern because it has serious health conditions associated with its exposure. Among these are brain damage, convulsions, damage to the nervous system and blood vessels and in severe cases even death. To prevent exposure to lead, keep play areas very clean and dust free. If there is lead paint in your home, do not try removing it yourself; call in a professional to re-paint if the old paint is chipped.

    4. Air Contaminants: There are several forms of airborne mold, dust and mildew that could be lurking in the air of your home. Breathing in these contaminants can agitate allergies and promote illnesses. A good air filter can help reduce the amount of these contaminants in your home.

    5. Mold: Many homes are subject to at least a certain amount of heat and humidity. This puts the home at risk for developing several types of mold. Left untreated, this mold can have serious affects on your health. Bathrooms and basements are particularly at risk for this and should be monitored. If your home develops mold clean up the area and use a good disinfectant to kill it before it can spread. If the mold has spread to an area bigger than a few feet you may need to call in a professional.

    6. Medications: Keeping medication in the medicine cabinet is no longer enough! Many preteen and teenage children are abusing the contents of the medicine cabinet in an attempt to get high. All major medications need to be kept in a safe locked space. It is also a good idea to keep a count of how many tabs are in each bottle if you need to keep track.

    7. Carbon Monoxide: This is a colorless, scentless gas that builds up in the home, often from heating sources, the car and malfunctioning appliances. Left to build up, it could kill you in your sleep. The best way to keep track of this is to install a carbon monoxide detector alongside the fire detectors in your home- one for each floor. Having your major appliances looked over by a professional will also reduce the risk of the gas in your home.

    8. Your Dryer Vent: This is one of the most overlooked problems in the home. If the dryer’s vent and the hose that connects it to that vent become clogged with lint it could cause a house fire. Periodically open the area and of it’s not too long clean it yourself or hire a professional to handle it, especially if it is a longer vent area.

    Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

    Categories: Health & Wellness, Other

    Tags: , ,

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *